MFD responded to the area of Jasmine Drive for a report of an exterior deck on fire. The fire was discovered by a neighbor, who rang the doorbell to alert occupants inside of the emergency.
Upon arrival, crews determined the actual location of the fire was on the 1200 block of Velvet Leaf Drive. Engine Co. 7 pulled a hose line to the backyard of the Velvet Leaf Drive residence and prepared for fire attack. They found the fire to be confined to the deck on the upper level of the single-story home, and the fire was originating from the decking material and home's vinyl siding. An occupant was already attempting to use a garden hose to put out the fire but stopped as soon as firefighters were able to take over.
Firefighters began fire attack from the ground and eventually moved their attack line to the deck stairs. Fire attack continued until initial knockdown was achieved at 2:43 a.m. Additional water and foam was used to ensure the fire was completely extinguished. The fire was declared fully extinguished at 2:53 a.m.
Ladder Co. 7 searched the interior of the home to confirm fire did not extend inside. Firefighters surveyed the damaged areas and searched for a source of the fire. One occupant admitted to smoking a cigarette and discarding the smoking materials into a wood planter on the deck approximately four hours prior to the fire. The areas of most significant fire damage were located where the wood planter had been, but no discarded smoking materials were found in the debris.