Occupant Falls Asleep With Eggs Boiling On Stovetop

Incident Type
Tuesday, November 7, 2017 - 2:44am
Tuesday, November 7, 2017 - 2:48am
1400 Block Trailsway
Madison, WI 53713

Engine 10, Medic 10, and a full structure fire response arrived at an apartment complex on Trailsway early Tuesday morning following reports of smoke in the building.

Upon entry into the main foyer, Engine Company 10 detected the smell of burned food coming from one of the apartments and observed a light haze. The door to the affected apartment was locked. Firefighters began pounding on the door but nobody answered. Medic 10 went outside and knocked on all windows, eventually waking up the tenant who let firefighters into the front door. 

Once inside, firefighters confirmed there was no fire, but a pot of boiled eggs had been left on the stove. The eggs had been cooking for some time, and there was no water left in the pot.

Firefighters opened the windows and used a fan to ventilate the apartment. There was no damage to the apartment or the appliances.

Posted 11/07/2017 - 9:12am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)