One Injured Attempting To Put Out Stovetop Fire

Incident Type
Structure
Dispatch
Thursday, July 8, 2021 - 9:53pm
Arrival
Thursday, July 8, 2021 - 9:56pm
Address
100 Block Landgon Street
Madison, WI
Narrative

One person was injured trying to put out a fire they discovered on their kitchen stovetop. The occupant told firefighters he put a pot of water on the burner and then put a bowl of candle wax in it to create an air-freshening effect. He left the stove unattended for a few minutes, and when he returned he found fire on the stovetop.

The occupant found some wet towels and attempted to use them to put out the fire. His efforts were unsuccessful. He grabbed his cats and evacuated the apartment to call 911. Other building occupants also evacuated and flagged down firefighters as Ladder Co. 1 arrived on scene at 9:56 p.m.

The crew entered the apartment and located the fire still burning. They extinguished the fire with a water can, and Engine Co. 1 assisted with ventilating the apartment.

The occupant sought medical treatment on his own and did not require transport from Madison Fire EMS.

Posted 07/09/2021 - 11:39am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)