Outside House Fire Caught Quickly Thanks To Passerby

Incident Type
Structure
Dispatch
Monday, September 21, 2020 - 9:27am
Arrival
Monday, September 21, 2020 - 9:31am
Address
1500 Block Mayfield Lane
Madison, WI
Narrative

A passerby alerted homeowners on Mayfield Lane that their house was on fire, prompting one resident to grab the garden hose while another called 911.

The fire began in a garbage can or recycling bin outside the house. Somebody walking by noticed the fire and knocked on the door to alert the residents. Fire spread from the receptacle to the siding of the house, the garage door, and eaves. The homeowner was able to put out the flames with their garden hose just before Engine Co. 10 and other crews arrived.

Firefighters checked to verify everyone was out of the house and that there was no hidden fire spread occurring in the walls and ceiling. Nobody was displaced or injured in the incident.

Posted 09/21/2020 - 2:20pm
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)