Pair of Chimney Fires Serve As Warning To Homeowners

Incident Type
Chimney
Dispatch
Sunday, November 10, 2019 - 1:27pm
Arrival
Sunday, November 10, 2019 - 1:33pm
Address
100 Block Harding Street
Madison, WI
Narrative

The Madison Fire Department responded to a pair of chimney fires Sunday, both of which serve as reminders to have your chimney inspected before cozying up to the fireplace this season.

Engine Co. 5 and other eastside crews were called to Harding Street just before 1:30 p.m. after residents reported flames coming from their chimney. There was only smoke showing from the chimney as crews arrived. Firefighters ascended the roof, and others entered the home, to clear out the fireplace and to confirm that fire wasn’t festering inside the chimney or extending into the home. Engine 5 and Engine 3 peered into the chimney from both ends and found it to be clear, any debris having already been burned away. The occupants were advised not to use the fireplace again until the property owner is able to have the chimney looked at, and to have the flue cap fixed.

Later that evening, Engine Co. 9 was dispatched to Kendall Avenue for another chimney fire. Firefighters could see glowing embers from the chimney cap as they arrived to the two-story single-family home. They later determined the embers were the burned remains of a bird or squirrel nest. 

As winter sets in—a little sooner than expected, for some—it’s important to have your chimneys serviced before using them again for the first time this season.

Posted 11/11/2019 - 11:59am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)