Pots Left On Stovetop Send Firefighters To Downtown Restaurant

Incident Type
Smoke Scare
Friday, November 30, 2018 - 4:28am
Friday, November 30, 2018 - 4:32am
W. Mifflin Street
Madison, WI 53703

Firefighters were dispatched to Rare Steakhouse early Friday morning after a delivery driver and an employee at a neighboring business reported the glow of possible fire inside the restaurant.

Engine Company 1 and Ladder Company 1 found no signs of smoke or fire from the exterior, and the dining area was clear. Firefighters did find two large pots left on the gas range stovetop with the burners left on. One of the pots was partially melted from the heat, but there was no active fire. The kitchen's exhaust system was working well enough to sufficiently vent the smoke.

Ladder Company 1 turned off the burners and remained on scene to confirm the pots were cooling properly. The remaining smoke dissipated with the help of the restaurant’s exhaust system. Firefighters secured the restaurant and left the scene at 4:59 a.m.

Posted 11/30/2018 - 8:56am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)