Quick-Thinking Home Cook Contains Grease Fire, Calls 911 Right Away

Incident Type
Cooking
Dispatch
Sunday, September 8, 2019 - 4:06pm
Arrival
Sunday, September 8, 2019 - 4:10pm
Address
8400 Block Red Granite Road
Madison, WI
Narrative

A cooking fire that broke out in a west-side residence was unable to spread or cause significant damage thanks to the occupant making all the right moves: Covering the fire with a lid, evacuating the home, and immediately dialing 911.

Engine Company 7, Ladder Company 7, and other MFD companies were dispatched to Red Granite Road, where the occupant had been heating some oil in a saucepan to fry some chicken. When she removed the lid, it released a large amount of smoke and a fire soon ignited. The occupant shut off the burner, placed the lid back down on the pan, went outside, and dialed 911.

Just a small amount of fire remained when Engine Company 7 entered the kitchen. Firefighters took the saucepan outside, and Ladder Company 7 assisted with ventilation. Crews confirmed the fire did not extend into the cabinets or other appliances. There was no damage to the stove, nobody was injured, and nobody was displaced.

Smothering oil-based fires is the most effective way to snuff them out. Applying water to them often causes the fire to spread. By evacuating the home and dialing 911, the occupant removed herself from a dangerous situation while getting firefighters to the house right away.

Posted 09/09/2019 - 7:22am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)