Smoke Alarms Alert Residents to a Fire in Their Home
Investigators have determined the cause of this fire to be accidental due to improper discarding of fireplace ashes. The fire originated in the basement utility room with resulting damage to the drywall, ceiling, and utility room contents. Initial damage estimates are around $40,000.
--PIO Cynthia Schuster
This morning the Madison Fire Department responded to a fire in a west side home located on Council Crest. Just after 9 am residents were alerted by all of the smoke alarms sounding in the home and they noticed a large amount of smoke coming out of the chimney. All of the occupants exited the house and 911 was called. Arriving firefighters initiated a rapid attack on the fire and were able to quickly extinguish it before it spread. The home was searched to make sure that all of the people were out and to confirm that the fire had not extended to any other parts of the house. The home was also ventilated to help remove smoke.
There were no injuries to residents, first responders or the two cats, a dog and a guinea pig who also reside there. The Fire Department is looking into the cause of the fire. Due to the quick response there was only minor damage to the home and the residents have not been displaced.
The Madison Fire Department reminds all of us to make sure that each home has working smoke alarms. They should be tested once a month and replaced every 10 years. Smoke alarms with a 10 year lithium ion battery or that are hard wired with a battery backup are recommended. They should be installed on each level of the home and also be located within 6 feet outside of bedrooms and also inside each bedroom and sleeping area.
Please visit madisonfire.org for additional information and tips about locating smoke alarms.
Joel Kneifel, 608.243.0180, email@example.com