Smoke Discovered In Apartment, Firefighters Wake Sleeping Family Inside
Firefighters were called to an apartment complex on Northport Drive for reports of a smoke alarm sounding in the building. Upon entry to the building, Engine Co. 10 noted the smell of burned food. They rang the doorbell to the apartment from which the smell was coming and received no answer.
Firefighters forced entry and found smoke throughout the apartment. A family of three was found sleeping inside. They were awoken and escorted outside to fresh air.
One firefighter turned off a burner that had been left on and removed a pot of food to the outdoors. Firefighters ventilated the apartment to clear the smoke. Though the apartment was still habitable, the family found another place to stay for the night. Nobody was injured or required evaluation by EMS.