Smoke Found In Home Traced To Dehumidifier In Basement

Incident Type
Appliance
Dispatch
Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 10:28am
Arrival
Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 10:31am
Address
400 Block Galileo Drive
Madison, WI
Narrative

One homeowner was advised to find another place to stay after a dehumidifier in their basement caught fire, causing smoke and soot damage as well as noxious fumes. Engine Company 13 responded to the 400 block of Galileo Drive for a report of a possible electrical fire. The homeowner explained he’d arrived home and found the house full of smoke.

Firefighters entered to find smoke throughout the home but ultimately located a dehumidifier in the basement that had failed and created a small fire which melted the housing of the dehumidifier and the plastic bucket behind it.

The home was ventilated as Engine 13 investigated further to confirm there were no other active heat sources or direct fire damage to the house or contents. Ventilation lasted about 45 minutes but the toxic fumes and lingering smoke were persistent. Homeowners were advised to limit their exposure inside the home until a remediation company could deem the home safe to occupy.

Posted 07/16/2019 - 6:48am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)