Smoke Scare Inside Downtown Bar Traced To Arcade Games

Incident Type
Smoke Scare
Friday, March 8, 2019 - 9:25pm
Friday, March 8, 2019 - 9:28pm
500 Block W. Main Street
Madison, WI

Firefighters responded to a downtown bar Friday night after an odor of smoke was reported inside. Ladder Company 1 assumed command and reported nothing showing upon arrival to the Echo Tap on West Main Street. Firefighters ascended to the roof of the building to check the air handling units, which appeared to be operating normally. Engine Company 1 assisted Ladder 1 with investigating the interior of the bar. That's where they eventually determined the smell was coming from two poker arcade games. The smell dissipated after firefighters unplugged the poker machines. There was no fire spread to nearby walls, and the problem appeared to be isolated to the power panel of the machines.

Posted 03/11/2019 - 10:17am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)