Temporary Men’s Shelter Evacuated After High Levels of Carbon Monoxide Detected

Incident Type
Carbon Monoxide
Dispatch
Wednesday, December 30, 2020 - 4:01am
Arrival
Wednesday, December 30, 2020 - 4:06am
Address
200 Block N. First St
Madison, WI 53704
Narrative

Around 4:00 am Wednesday morning, Firefighters responded to 200 N. First Street for the report of the smell of gas.

Firefighters from Engine 3 entered the temporary overnight men’s shelter and took readings with their Sensit Monitor, which detects natural gas, carbon monoxide and oxygen levels. Crews immediately had carbon monoxide readings above 300 PPM and evacuated the building.

Metro buses were requested to respond to the incident to keep the people warm while firefighters ventilated the building.

The source of the carbon monoxide was found to be a heater in the intake area of the shelter, which had incomplete combustion. The heater will be repaired or locked out and tagged and be placed out of service. Safe alternative heating will be placed in the area, until it can be replaced for tonight. A carbon monoxide detector will also be installed in the intake area. Carbon monoxide detectors have been in place in other areas throughout the building prior to this call.

Porchlight staff, MG&E, MPD, and City Engineering assisted at the scene.

Posted 12/30/2020 - 12:22pm
Contacts

Bernadette Galvez, 608-243-0180