Unattended Cooking Causes $100,000 in Damage
Madison, WI 53713
City of Madison Fire Engine 3 responded to a fire at 4:52pm on the 1000 block of Moorland Road for a fire alarm, and when they arrived to the 40-unit apartment complex, they saw smoke coming from the building.
The alarm company of the building, received reports that the 1st and 2nd floor had smoke in the hallways. Dispatch then upgraded the call to a full fire response and called in six more fire units to assist. Shortly after, an additional Engine and ambulance were added to the fire call, due to the number of potential victims. A total of four fire engines, two ladder trucks, two ambulance and the Chief’s car responded.
Several occupants reported that it was a grease fire, from a 1st floor apartment.
Firefighters entered the building and encountered thick black smoke in the hallways. They forced open doors, to ensure everyone was out of the building. Crews quickly knocked down the fire and checked to be sure the fire did not extend into the walls and ceiling.
No injuries to report.
Red Cross is assisting nine adults and five children, who were displaced as a result of the fire.
Unattended cooking caused $100,000.00 in damage.
Bernadette Galvez, 608-243-0180