Unattended Cooking Fire Displaces Five
Two households are displaced following a fire in an apartment on Jacobs Way.
The Madison Fire Department received reports of the fire at 3:30 p.m. Upon arrival just three minutes later, Ladder Co. 7 found flames coming out the sliding glass door of a second-floor apartment. Their four-person crew split up to assist Engine Co. 7's crew with fire attack and also to perform search and rescue throughout the building. Initial knockdown of the fire was achieved at 3:41 p.m., and crews confirmed everybody made it out of the building unharmed.
A total of five people and their pets are displaced due to fire-related damage. The American Red Cross is providing assistance to those who were displaced.
Investigators determined the fire was caused by unattended cooking. A pot of oil overheated after being left on a stovetop burner. By the time the fire was discovered, flames had extended to the cabinets above the stove. The occupants were able to gather all the pets and evacuate uninjured prior to calling 911.
Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)