Incident Type: 
Monday, March 13, 2023 - 7:49pm
Monday, March 13, 2023 - 7:55pm
1000 block Gilbert Road
Madison, WI

A Madison resident left her apartment to run a quick errand when she realized she may have left some food cooking on the stove. With the help of cameras set up in the apartment, she was able to confirm through a telephone app that her apartment was filling with smoke and she dialed 911 for help.

Multiple fire crews were dispatched for a possible structure fire. While en route, Ladder Co. 7 was advised the 911 caller could see a pan on the stove with food burning. Firefighters arrived and went to the caller’s apartment. They did find the apartment full of smoke, and they pulled a pan of burned hamburger off the stove, placing it in the sink. The incident was caught before any fire ignited. Engine Co. 9 joined Ladder 7 to help clear smoke from the unit.

The resident returned to the apartment just as firefighters were preparing to leave. She thanked firefighters for their help and quick response.

Posted 03/14/2023 - 11:12am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)