Incident Type: 
Sunday, May 22, 2022 - 7:59pm
Sunday, May 22, 2022 - 8:04pm
Sunday, May 22, 2022 - 8:05pm
2600 Columbus Lane
Madison, WI 53704

Just before 8:00 pm Sunday Madison Fire Department units were dispatched to an apartment in the 2400 Block of Columbus Lane for the report of a structure fire. Medic 8 arrived first on scene and was informed by the building residents that they had forced entry and extinguished a fire in their neighbor’s apartment. Upon entering the apartment Medic 8 encountered heavy smoke and heat in the kitchen area. Engine 8 pulled a line and Ladder 8 assisted with ventilation and confirmed that the fire had been extinguished prior to MFD arrival. The resident of the apartment was not home at the time of the incident. The cause of the fire was determined to be an unattended stove top burner that had been left on. The fire damaged the electrical wiring and the resident was displaced. There were no injuries to residents or firefighters. Damage is estimated to be $20,000.

According to the National Fire Protection Association cooking has been a leading cause of reported home fires and home fire deaths. Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol, don’t use the stove or stovetop. Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food. Keep anything that can catch fire such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains away from your stovetop. If you have a cooking fire just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire. Call 911 after you leave. Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled. For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.

Posted 05/24/2022 - 1:52pm

Joel Kneifel, 608.575.5090,