Immediate Recommendations for the Isthmus Area
To protect property, people working and residing on the isthmus are asked to take the following precautions:
Acquire and place sandbags around the lowest openings of your house/building – Sandbag Locations
- If your property is in the Increased Flood Risk zone, you should leave your sandbags up.
- As of Sept. 10, 2018, properties in this area are still at an increased risk of flooding.
- Request sandbag help from volunteers
- Remove valuables from your basement
- Do not park in underground parking. Alternate parking options are available.
- Move your car from a flood-prone street to higher ground
- Acquire and place sandbags around the lowest openings of your house/building
- Sewage back-up risk can be reduced with the use of a drain plug. If using drain plugs, remember all fixtures in the basement need to be plugged, such as: toilet, floor drain, sinks
- Be cautious with regards to electricity. If your home’s source of power is compromised by water, you will experience a loss of power. Contact your utility service if your building’s power has been compromised.
- Watch the weather forecast and monitor City of Madison flood mapping. Plan accordingly to keep yourself, your family, and your means of transportation safe.
For more information on preparing for a flood and what to do during a flood, visit our How to Prepare for a Flood page.