Summary of service:
- Buses are operating modified Saturday service. See below.
- Customers are required to board and exit the bus using the rear doors (riders needing the ramp may still enter through the front).
- Fares are free.
- Customers are asked to ride for essential trips ONLY.
- Metro's Administration Office is now closed. Lost and Found pick-up done by appointment only. Call 608-266-4904.
- Metro maintenance are performing daily cleanings of all buses. See all preventative measures.
These measures will be in effect until further notice.
Metro Transit is operating modified SATURDAY schedules. Saturday service is provided on the following routes only: 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 13, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 26, 30, 31, 32, 36, 40, 50, 51, 59, 63, 67, 68, 78.
In addition to the routes listed above, Metro will operate the following routes Monday through Friday only:
- Routes 55 and 75 operate regular weekday schedules to/from Verona/Epic .
- Route 23 operates regular weekday schedules to/from Sun Prairie.
- Route 72 operates regular weekday schedules to/from Middleton.
- Routes 44, 48 and 49 operate regular weekday schedules to/from Fitchburg.
The University of Wisconsin Campus Routes 80 and 84 will operate RECESS SERVICE exactly as it normally operates on a recess schedule. Route 80 will run weekday recess service Monday through Friday, and weekend recess service Saturday and Sunday. Routes 81 and 82 will not operate.
For trip planning assistance, call 608-266-4466 or plan your trip on Google Maps.
Request to riders:
After consultation with Public Health, we have determined that several steps should be taken to reduce the risk of community spread of COVID-19 and increase the ability for riders and employees to follow social distancing guidelines.
- Capacity on all Metro Transit fixed-route buses is limited to 15 passengers plus the driver.
- We ask that Metro Transit be used only for essential trips such as travel to employment, medical appointments, grocery stores, etc.
- Please use alternative forms of transportation if it is available to you.
- Enter and exit the bus through the rear doors - no fare collection until further notice.
- Other than brief periods during boarding, you should maintain a distance of 6 feet from the driver and your fellow passengers.
- Practice good respiratory etiquette and hand hygiene
- Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue or a sleeve
- Keep your hands to yourself and be aware of what you touch.
People at High Risk
It is particularly important for riders who are at a high risk of severe illness, including paratransit riders, to avoid public transit. High risk individuals include:
- People 60 years or older
- People with underlying health conditions including heart disease, lung disease, or diabetes.
- People who have a weakened immune system
- Women who are pregnant
Metro Transit would like to encourage riders, especially paratransit riders, who are high risk to protect themselves and stay home if possible.
Metro maintenance employees have implemented new cleaning protocols to help prevent the spread of the virus including:
- Wipe downs or sprays of all high-contact areas in the bus with tuberculocidal disinfectants
- Wipe downs or sprays of all high-contact areas in the Metro garage and operations areas with tuberculocidal disinfectants
- Purchased tuberculocidal fogging machines to spread disinfectant throughout the bus
- Purchased hospital grade wipes that will be used to clean bus and office work areas
- Purchased hand sanitizer, Kleenex and rubber gloves for employees
Continued Monitoring of Situation
Metro staff are involved in the City of Madison’s COVID-19 preparedness committee, which meets twice a week. Metro’s Interim General Manager Natalie Erdman attends these meetings which include briefings by Madison Dane County Public Health.
Staff have also been in touch with APTA and FTA to determine best practices for coronavirus prevention for transit agencies. Advice from these critical sources is informing our actions as we work to prevent the spread of this virus.
Metro will continue to provide updated information as circumstances change.