August Service Changes Approved
On Wednesday, April 15, Metro Transit and the City of Madison Transportation Commission met to discuss service changes proposed at a public hearing held in March.
Due to Metro’s reduction in service in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Metro reduced its proposal to only include changes to Route 29 and UW Campus Routes 80, 81, 82, 84.
These changes were approved for implementation at the end of August.
The Transportation Commission's review of all other proposed service changes would be suspended until such time as Metro Transit's service is restored.
Approved August Changes
- Service shifted from Packers/Northport to Aberg/Sherman Ave.
- Route 80 & 84: Revised routes schedules to help with overcrowding and keep buses on schedule.
- Routes 81 & 82: Revised late-night service.
Discussion Postponed Until Service is Restored
This route chronically misses connections at transfer points, which causes large numbers of passengers to miss transfers and be late throughout the day. With a goal of reducing late buses to transfer points by 50%, a number of changes are being proposed to speed up the route including:
- Westbound service shift from MLK Jr. Blvd. to King St.
- Eastbound service shift from Winnebago St./Atwood Ave. to Eastwood Dr.
- “Via Division” segment eliminated - all trips operate "via Winnebago"
- Consolidated stops on Jenifer St., Atwood Ave., and Walter St.
Additional routes affected:
- Route 4: Westbound service shift from MLK Jr. Blvd. to King St.
- Route 7: Eastbound service shift from Winnebago/Atwood to Eastwood
- Route 37: Eastbound service shift from Winnebago/Atwood to Eastwood.
Routes 32, 33 & 39 – To Serve New Pinney Library
- Route 32: Service shift from Acewood to Dempsey. Service loop proposed to operate counter-clockwise at all times.
- Route 33: Service loop proposed to reverse.
- Route 39: Service removed from Buckeye and Vondron. All trips operate via Dempsey.
- Service removed from Kings Mill.
- Loop reversed on Langley/Cottontail
- Service shifted from Struck to Rayovac Dr.
- Service shifted from Ganser/West Towne Mall road to High Point/Mineral Point Rd.
Select stops are proposed to close, shift or change on Jenifer, Winnebago, Atwood, Walter, Odana, Mills, Regent, Gorham, Johnson, Hamilton, Milwaukee, Spaight, Rogers, Rutledge, and Oakridge.