$5 Maximum per Day and First Hour Free on Saturdays in City-Owned Parking Garages
Friday, May 29, 2020 - 2:39pm
Parking Division Temporarily Reduces City-Owned Garage Rates to Assist Residents and Businesses during Period of Early COVID-19 Recovery
As the City of Madison begins to slowly return to a “new-normal” and on-street parking meter enforcement & fees will resume June 1st, the Parking Division is making some temporary rate changes for City-owned public parking garages to reduce the cost to park and encourage residents and visitors to shop and dine downtown.
Effective June 1, 2020, there will be a $5 daily maximum fee in all City-owned public parking garages, and the first hour of parking is free on Saturdays.
This temporary rate reduction is designed to assist residents, workers and businesses who have been financially impacted by COVID-19 to have a low cost parking option during early recovery and reopening. The $5 daily maximum provides a low cost option to drive and park downtown, as some workers and visitors to the downtown area may be impacted by temporary Metro capacity limits and route reductions.
Specifics regarding the temporary $5 daily rate and 1 Hour Free Saturday Parking:
- If the parking session is less than $5, then that lower amount of the time parked at the hourly rate would be charged.
- The maximum rate goes into effect once the amount owed reaches or exceeds $5, halting any additional hourly fees for that day.
- The rate accrues for each parking session, daily. If a person exits and re-enters the same day, a new session is started, and the hourly rate would again accrue up to a maximum of $5 for the day.
- On Saturdays, the first hour of parking is free. Any time stayed beyond 1 hour would be charged at the regular hourly rate, up to the daily $5 maximum.
- The rates will be in effect until the next meeting of the Transportation Commission, currently planned for June 24, 2020, at which time the Parking Division will present options and recommendations for any changes or extension of the temporary rate reduction for their consideration.
Information about the Parking Division, programs and operations can be found at: www.cityofmadison.com/parking-utility
Learn more about the city of Madison‘s response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic online at: https://www.cityofmadison.com/health-safety/coronavirus
As a reminder, it is still safest to remain home, but if you leave your home, it is recommended to wear a cloth face covering as an additional tool to prevent spreading of the virus. Please help keep our community healthy and safe by following Public Health Madison & Dane County recommendations and guidance.
- Parking Division, 608-266-4761, email@example.com