A New Model for City Planning – Madison Kicks off West and Northeast Area Plans
Planning efforts are underway by the City of Madison to help shape the future of our West and Northeast neighborhoods. It's part of a larger initiative to build better communities through the City's recently approved Planning Framework. The Northeast Area Plan and West Area Plan will be the first under this new model that will ultimately cover the entire city. Guided by overarching City policies and feedback from stakeholders, these Area Plans will guide physical changes that occur over time in our community such as land use, housing, transit, streets, bike paths, and other community facilities. As part of the Area Plan process, the Parks Division will update plans for how specific amenities are distributed among parks within the Northeast and West Areas.
The Northeast Area Plan (click here to see map) generally covers the area bounded by Buckley Rd on the north, Hwy I 90-94 on the east, Aberg Avenue/State Road 30 on the south, and County Hwy CV and Packers Avenue on the west.
The West Area Plan (click here to see map) generally covers the area bounded by the City of Middleton boundary and Lake Mendota to the north, Midvale Boulevard on the east, and the West Beltline Highway on the south and west.
Help shape the future of your neighborhood
The City of Madison invites residents, community organizations, businesses, and other stakeholders to join in the public planning process for the Northeast Area Plan and West Area Plan. The City is hosting kick-off meetings for both areas, with in-person and virtual alternatives for attending. Staff will provide an overview of background information and gather input from community members about issues and opportunities in the respective planning areas.
“As we begin this more equitable approach to neighborhood planning, we are committed to making sure that is reflected in the public process,” said Planning Division Director Heather Stouder. “We want to hear from as many people as possible because everyone has a unique perspective about issues that impact our neighborhoods."
Northeast Area Plan Public Meetings
- Virtual Meeting: Tuesday, January 31 at 12:00pm. Registration is required and can be completed on the project webpage.
- In-Person Meeting with Virtual Option: Tuesday, January 31 at 6:00pm at the City Fleet Service Building, 4151 Nakoosa Trail. Registration for the virtual meetings is required and can be completed on the project webpage.
Click here to see flyer.
West Area Plan Public Meetings
- Virtual Meeting: Monday, February 6 at 12:00pm. Registration is required and can be completed on the project webpage.
- In-Person Meeting: Thursday, February 9 at 6:00pm at Vel Phillips Memorial High School, 201 S. Gammon Rd., Wisconsin Neighborhood Center. Enter front doors and look for directional signs. This meeting will have interpretation, childcare and food.
- Virtual Meeting: Monday, February 13 at 6:00pm. Registration is required and can be completed on the project webpage.
Click here to see flyer.
Interactive Comment Webpage
As a first step, the City asks stakeholders to share their insights about the area on an interactive webpage. This information will help inform the Area Plan process and other City initiatives. Visit the project websites (linked below) to learn more, provide feedback on an interactive map, and sign up for project email updates.
Call For Community Partners
The City of Madison's Planning Division is looking for community partners with experience conducting outreach in Madison to develop both the Northeast Area Plan and West Area Plan. Non-profits, community-based organizations, other other grassroots groups are encouraged to apply.
For more information or to request a presentation to your group, contact the Planning Division at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Northeast Area Plan contact Angela Puerta at 608-267-8649 or West Area Plan contact Linda Horvath at 608-267-1131. Those who need interpretation should contact staff at least three days before the meeting.