Ald. Rhodes-Conway Will Not Seek Reelection
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 2:27am
Madison, WI - Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 12 alder, announced today that she will not seek reelection in April. Rhodes-Conway was elected in 2007 after defeating four opponents in a hotly contested race.
"It has been an honor and a privilege to serve on the Common Council," Rhodes-Conway said, "but it is time for me to focus on my job and my family, and to give someone else a chance to serve District 12. I hope to continue to serve my neighborhood and the City in different ways."
Rhodes-Conway serves on the Board of Estimates, the City's budget committee, and has had an interest in sustainability and transportation issues. She has represented a portion of the east and north sides of Madison for six years. Her accomplishments include:
• Getting the Northport-Warner Park-Sherman neighborhood plan written and adopted
• Improving infrastructure for pedestrians and bicyclists in District 12 and throughout the city
• Bringing Ride the Drive to the Northside
• Facilitating business development in the District
• Helping the Council identify and adopt a proactive policy agenda
• Improving public input into the City Budget
"I look forward to a spirited race to determine who will have the privilege of representing this diverse and active district," Rhodes-Conway said. "I haven't yet endorsed anyone and will be interested to see who steps forward to run."
Rhodes-Conway will serve until the next alder is elected in April. Until then, she'll be focusing primarily on transportation and economic development issues in her district, including improving pedestrian safety and economic vitality along the Sherman Ave. corridor and supporting the revitalization of the Brentwood neighborhood.
- Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway608-242-4426