Applications Being Accepted to Fill Third Aldermanic District Vacancy
Must be received no later than 4:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 11, 2022
District 3 Alder Lindsay Lemmer has notified Council leadership of her resignation from the Madison Common Council. Alder Lemmer has agreed to stay on as Alder until the conclusion of the May 24th Council meeting while Council leadership works to fill her vacancy. Alder Lemmer’s resignation will be effective once a successor is appointed or by May 25, 2022, at noon, whichever comes first.
District 3 residents are invited to apply to fill this vacancy for the remainder of the term, which ends on April 18, 2023. Check whether you live in District 3.
The Common Council President oversees the application process to fill the vacancy. Received applications are reviewed by the Common Council Executive Committee. This process includes an interview of applicants at a special Common Council Executive Committee meeting on Tuesday, May 17, at 6 p.m. After conducting interviews, the committee will make a recommendation to the Common Council. At the conclusion of the Tuesday, May 24, Common Council meeting, the Common Council will appoint the interim District 3 Alderperson to begin serving immediately until a new alder is elected and sworn in on April 18, 2023.
Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and must be received no later than 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 11, 2022.
Applications should include:
- Telephone Number (Home/Mobile/Work)
- E-mail address
- A biographical resume should include education, work, neighborhood, and civic experience
- A statement on why you wish to serve
- A statement of what you wish to accomplish
- A statement on whether you plan to run for alderperson in the Spring 2023 election
The following is the timeline:
- Wednesday, May 11 at 4:30 p.m.: Applications to fill the vacancy due
- Tuesday. May 17 at 6 p.m.: Special CCEC Meeting for applicant interviews and recommendation of selected candidate to Council
- Tuesday, May 24 at 6:30 p.m.: Common Council Meeting - Appointment of District 3 Interim Alder at the conclusion of the meeting.
- Council President Keith Furman, (608) 912-0000, email@example.com
- Council Vice President Jael Currie, (608) 516-7151, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Council Chief of Staff Karen Kapusta-Pofahl, (608) 261-9159, KKapusta-Pofahl@cityofmadison.com