August Moving Days: Daily Collections of Carts in Student Move Area
The annual August Moving Days ritual in downtown Madison will begin soon. On top of packing, hauling, and saying goodbyes, movers need to decide just what to do with all their unwanted stuff.
Over the next few days, the Streets Division will be providing information so those on the move can be sure they know how to manage all the trash and recyclables they will generate.
Starting at 6:30 a.m. on Monday August 2, 2021 residents in the downtown moving days area can place full collection carts and other items at the curb.
During each weekday between Monday, August 2 and Monday, August 16, Streets Division staff will be emptying collection carts and collecting other items.
Residents should fill and re-fill their collection carts again and again during the daily collection window.
Using carts correctly makes Streets Division collections faster and safer for everyone. Plus, using the carts appropriately keeps the city looking cleaner.
Don’t Wait Until Moving Day!
Start the clean-up for your move-out now. Residents within the student move area are encouraged to use any upcoming collections and the drop-off sites to begin the disposal process. To learn what collections are scheduled for your home, go to www.cityofmadison.com/collectionschedule.
Guidelines for Trash Collection
- Put all trash in the tan refuse cart or inside trash bags. Do not pile trash loose at the curb.
- Do not put trash in cardboard boxes.
- Keep your refuse and recycling separated from each other.
Guidelines for Recycling Collection
- Place only appropriate recyclables into the green cart.
- Keep the recycling lid closed when out for collection. Rainwater damages paper inside.
- Excess recyclables at the curb that cannot fit into the cart should be in a clear bags. Do not pile recyclables loose at the curb.
- Flatten and bundle cardboard boxes for recycling if you have more than can fit into the cart.
- Keep your trash and recycling separated from each other.
Guidelines for Using the Carts
- Make sure your carts remain accessible so the trucks can lift and empty them.
- When you move out, leave the collection carts at the property. Do not take them. The carts belong to the City and must remain for the new tenants.
Residents that have more recycling or trash than can fit into the carts can bring the excess to a Streets Division drop-off site.
Residents can bring one load a day of refuse, recycling, large items, or the other items accepted at the drop-off site. Please note that certain large items require a fee before they can be dropped off.
The single load cannot be larger than what would fit into a standard pick-up truck bed or small single-axle trailer. Loads larger than these guidelines will be denied access.
The drop-off sites that accept trash and recyclables are located at 4602 Sycamore Ave. and 1501 W. Badger Rd.
In order to use the sites, individuals must provide proof they are a resident of the City of Madison. Many individuals show their driver’s license, but other official documents like utility bills or rental agreements can work as well.
For 2021, the drop-off sites are open the following hours:
- Monday: 7:30am to 2:45pm
- Tuesday: 7:30am to 7:00pm
- Wednesday: Closed
- Thursday: 7:30am to 7:00pm
- Friday: 7:30am to 2:45pm
- Saturday: 9:00am to 4:00pm
- Sunday: Closed
Additional information about the drop-off sites can be found on the Streets Division’s website.
If there are questions, all residents are encouraged to contact the Streets Division.
Residents who live east of S. Park Street, and that includes the isthmus, should call 608-246-4532.
Residents west of S. Park Street, and that includes the neighborhoods around Camp Randall, should call 608-266-4681.
Additional information can also be found on the Streets Division’s Moving Days website, the Streets Division’s electronics recycling website, and the Recyclopedia.
Don’t forget to watch and share the Streets Division’s YouTube video on how to have a fast and safe move out.
- Bryan Johnson, 608-267-2626, email@example.com
- Streets Division - West Office, 608-266-4681
- Streets Division - East Office, 608-246-4532