Burglary Prevention Tips
Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 11:18am
Many on spring break next week
There will be many from our community heading to beaches and other destinations next week. Students from the Madison Metropolitan School District and the UW-Madison will be among those on spring break.
Empty homes, apartments, and condos can be targets for opportunistic criminals, and with that in mind, the MPD would like to offer burglary prevention tips:
- Make sure locks are in good working order and lock all doors and windows.
- Consider installing timers on interior lights and install exterior motion lights.
- Close bedroom drapes or blinds.
- Write down serial numbers of valuables (T.V.’s, laptops, gaming consoles, DVD players, etc…) and take photographs in case items are stolen.
- Don't advertise assets. Hide laptop computers and other small electronic items or …
- Remove valuable technology from apartments or residences; take items with you if possible.
- Stop mail and newspaper deliveries.
- Ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on the residence while you are away.
- Don’t tip off criminals on the web; refrain from posting your spring break plans on social media.
- Consider purchasing a home alarm system, and post highly visible warning stickers and signs indicating one is in place.
- Joel DeSpain608-266-4897