Celebrate Reading During National Library Week
Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 12:39am
Culver's Sponsors Drawing Event in Partnership with Madison Public Library
In celebration of National Library Week, April 13-19, Madison Public Library will join the Wisconsin Library Association Foundation and Culver's restaurants in Madison in the "Bee a Book Lover" drawing campaign for children.
This is the 18th year local Culver's restaurants in Wisconsin have sponsored this event, which encourages children to read and celebrate their favorite books.
Children ages 4 to 11 can enter the drawing event by picking up drawing sheets from any Madison Public Library location beginning April 11. Children are encouraged to draw a picture about their favorite book. Every child who completes a drawing and returns it to a Madison library by April 30 will receive a certificate for a free single scoop of Culver's Frozen Custard to be redeemed at participating neighborhood Culver’s restaurants. All entrants will also be entered into a random drawing to win a free Scoopie Kids’ Meal. Drawings will be displayed at Madison Public Library locations throughout the month of April.
"Books expose children to worlds both real and imaginary," stated Lea Culver, the chain's co-founder. "In today's electronic society, we want to take every opportunity to encourage a child to read and explore their imagination. The National Library Week provides all of us with an important reminder of the positive role a story plays in shaping young minds and developing reading and language skills."
"The Culver's drawing event is much loved by our youngest library-goers and their parents. Children enjoy seeing their artwork displayed in the library, and we appreciate this visual reminder of the importance of stories in children's lives," said Jane Roughen, Community Services Manager at Madison Public Library.
A selection of other events happening at Madison Public Libraries during National Library Week include:
- Sunday, April 13, 2 pm - Composting 101 at Pinney Library (learn about home composting with City of Madison Recycling Coordinator George Dreckmann)
- Monday, April 14, 6 pm – Audio Engineering at Central Library (learn how to set up a basic recording session and record audio at the Central Library’s new media lab)
- Tuesday, April 15, 3 pm - Meet with a Neighborhood Police Officer at Goodman South Madison Library (drop in and chat with neighborhood officer Mike Alvarez)
- Wednesday, April 16, 5:30 pm – Sharpie Poetry at Meadowridge Library (hands-on poetry workshop using newspapers and sharpie markers)
- Thursday, April 17, 2 pm – Teen Video Game Club at Lakeview Library (video games, friendly competition and snacks for teens)
- Friday, April 18, 6:30 pm – Friday Night Food Flick at Sequoya Library (El Bulli is this month’s featured film
- Saturday, April 19, 10 am–1 pm – Red White and Read at Central Library (read with UW student athletes and play with MMSD’s Play and Learn staff)
- Tana Elias, 608-266-4953, firstname.lastname@example.org