City of Madison 2023 Utility Box Art Program Call For Entries
Applications due Wednesday, April 5, 2023
Thanks to positive public reaction to the Utility Box Art Program, the City of Madison is continuing the program this year, looking for more great works of art to display across the City in 2023.
The Utility Box Art program was created in 2016 to highlight, encourage, and promote local artists by giving them exposure in the public realm. Over the years the City has wrapped more than 60 utility boxes with artwork by over 50 local artists and we’re excited to see those numbers grow even more!
The Madison Arts Commission is now announcing their 2023 call for entries for the next round of boxes. Artists are invited to submit up to 10 images of their artwork for consideration. If selected, artists will be compensated up to $500 for a license of each image accepted into the program. Here are a few restrictions for artists to consider:
- Artists must be over 18 years of age and consider themselves to be a professional artist.
- Artists must reside in the City of Madison.
- City employees, board, committee, and commission members are ineligible.
- Original works of art that are engaging and positive.
- Cannot contain legible logos, words, letters or numbers that could constitute a sign.
- Cannot promote or advertise a particular community group or organization.
- Cannot contain large blank backgrounds or
- Cannot contain photos of places outside of Madison.
- Should be able to translate to a utility box wrap, such that parts of the image may be repeated, doubled, flipped, or even removed to accommodate openings, keyholes, protrusions and other general design constraints. Due to this, Figurative photo subjects are discouraged.
If selected, artists must be able to provide a high resolution file of the image that can be enlarged to at least 6’ x 4’. The resulting wraps will include the artists name and image credit.
The Friends of the Madison Arts Commission (FoMAC) has set up a fund to financially support the Utility Box Art Program If you are interested in supporting this endeavor, and to see the database of past boxes, visit https://www.friendsofmadisonarts.org/utility-boxes.html
Deadline to apply: April 5, 2023
- Karin Wolf, Madison Arts & Culture Administrator, email@example.com
- Rebecca Cnare, Planner, 608.266.4957, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meri Rose Ekberg, Community & Cultural Resources Planner, email@example.com