Monday, April 28, 2014 - 5:31pm
On May 1, 2014, the City of Madison will be awarded a 25 year Tree City USA award as well as receiving a “Sterling Community” designation by the Arbor Day Foundation. To achieve the Sterling Community award status, Madison has been awarded ten Growth Awards and is regarded as a leader in community forestry.
To celebrate this honor and 25 years of Tree City USA, the city of Madison invites you to join Mayor Soglin, former Mayor Skornicka, and Alder Michael Verveer on May 1, 2014 at 2:00pm in front of the Madison Municipal Building, 215 MLK Jr. Blvd. as we plant six trees honoring Madison’s 25th consecutive year of being designated a Tree City USA. The city will receive the official designations at this event.
“Madison is honored to be a Tree City USA for the last 25 years,” says Eric Knepp, Madison Assistant Parks Superintendent. “Also being awarded the Sterling Community Award by the Tree City USA Foundation really shows our commitment to Madison’s urban forest.”
The City of Madison’s first Arbor Day Tree City USA celebration and tree planting took place on April 28, 1989 at Odana Golf Course. Mayor Paul Soglin was joined by Madison Boy Scout Troop 102 in the planting of the Arbor Day tree. In 1989, this made Madison one of 39 cities in Wisconsin with the designation of Tree City USA. In 2014, Madison is joined by 190 other Wisconsin communities in this prestigious designation.
To be recognized as a Tree City USA, a community must:
- have a board, committee or municipal department that is for community trees,
- have a municipal tree ordinance authorizing a program of community tree care and management,
- expend a minimum of $2 per capita on a community tree care program, the value of volunteer labor can count toward the expenditure requirement, as can program donations, grants and the like,
- proclaim and observe Arbor Day, although Arbor Day in Wisconsin is officially designated as the last Friday in April, local Arbor Day celebrations can take place any time of year and in any appropriate fashion.
- Laura Whitmore, 608-266-5949, email@example.com
- Marla Eddy, 608-266-4450, firstname.lastname@example.org