Archived News: This news release is more than one year old and may include outdated information.

Madison Common Council Issues Resolution Tuesday Night

For three construction workers and two maintenance employees at Madison's East High School, what began as a typical day on August 26, 2016, suddenly turned into something extraordinary.
They reported to work just before 7:00 a.m. when they noticed the smell of something burning in the area. One of them quickly recognized that a nearby house was on fire and called 911.
With firefighters on their way, the group approached the home and heard someone struggling inside. They attempted to gain access through the front door but it wouldn’t budge. They moved to the side of the home, where they pushed a heavy fan out of an open window and peered inside.
Amid thick smoke, the men could see the occupant struggling to get to the door. They called out and encouraged him to crawl to the window. The man was weak but he made it to the base of the window, just far enough for the men to reach inside, risking their own safety to pull the occupant out of the house and away from the fire. He ultimately survived his injuries thanks to the swift intervention of these five brave individuals.

The Madison Common Council will formally recognize and thank the men for their acts of heroism during an honoring resolution presented on Tuesday, December 6, at 6:30 p.m. in Room 201 of the City-County Building (210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.).