Holiday Recycling Tips: Keep Recycling Lid Closed
Thursday, December 20, 2018 - 12:15pm
We are in the season of giving, which also means figuring out how to recycle a lot of material from these gifts.
Over the next few days, we will share some recycling tips on how you should handle the excess of things that accumulate during the holidays.
Previous holiday recycling tips:
- Do not put clothes in the green recycling cart
- Flatten and bundle the cardboard that does not fit into the recycling cart
- Recycle televisions at the Streets Division drop-off sites
- Recycle household batteries at the Streets Division drop-off sites
- Most wrapping paper can be recycled, but not foil, ribbons, straps, and bows.
- Consider upgrading your recycling cart to the largest size at no cost
Keeping the Lid Down
Keeping the recycling lid closed when the cart is out for collection helps protect your recyclables from the elements.
If the recycling lid is open, rain and snow can get into the collection cart. The moisture can ruin recyclable paper and cardboard.
When saturated paper passes through the sorting equipment at Pellitteri Waste Systems, which is the company that sorts recycling for the City of Madison, the paper will crumble into many pieces. The sorting system may be unable to direct the wads of wet paper crumbles to be recycled along with the other paper.
If your cart lid cannot be closed because you have more recycling than can fit, contact the Streets Division to see if you can receive a larger size recycling cart. If your cart lid is damaged or missing, contact the Streets Division for that as well so the cart can be repaired or replaced. If extra recycling is a common occurrence for your house or apartment, additional carts can also be purchased for a one-time fee.
Excess recycling can also be delivered to the Streets Division drop-off sites. The sites are located at 1501 W. Badger Rd. and 4602 Sycamore Ave. The sites are presently open 7:30am to 3:00pm Monday to Friday.
For more information about the drop-off sites, or to arrange a cart exchange or purchase, visit our website, or contact our offices. Residents east of South Park Street can call 608-246-4532 and residents west of South Park Street can call 608-266-4681.
- Bryan Johnson, 608-267-2626, firstname.lastname@example.org