Keeping You and Your House Safe in Extreme Cold
- Know the location of your water shut off valve.
- Make sure your storm windows are closed and primary windows are closed completely.
- Keep kitchen sink and similar cabinet doors open.
- Make sure your fireplace flue is closed if you are not using it.
- Close window coverings especially at night.
- Run a small stream of water if your water temperature is near 35 degrees at a faucet.
- Check and replace your furnace filter if dirty.
- Keep heat ducts and cold air returns clear to aid air movement
- If you have plastic furnace vents on the side of the house, keep them clear of snow and ice.
- Do not use your gas or electric oven for space heating.
- Un-vented appliances such as kerosene heaters are not legal for use in homes or apartments.
- Test your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors.
- Carbon monoxide is an odorless, invisible toxic gas. Be alert for signs of carbon monoxide poisoning - headaches, nausea, stomach pain, dizziness or burning in the eyes and nose. If you suspect carbon monoxide, open doors and windows immediately. Then leave the area and contact a heating contractor to evaluate and repair the faulty appliance. If someone is seriously ill or unconscious, call 911.
- If you smell a persistent odor of natural gas:
- Open windows.
- Do not flip light switches or use the telephone.
- Go to another location and call MGE at 252-1111 or Alliant at 1-800-862-6263
- Do not use electric space heaters in bathrooms or other areas near water.
- Do not overload outlets or extension cords used for electric space heaters. Do not run extension cords underrugs or across walking areas.
- Do not store or use flammable liquids near appliances with open flames such as water heaters, furnaces and stoves.
- Burn wood safely. Dispose of ash safely outside.
- Do not use open flame (torches) to thaw frozen pipes.
- Madison Water Utility after hours emergency number. (608) 266-4665. If you cannot shut your water off.
- Katie Crawley, 608-266-4611