Madison Municipal Building earns 2 awards for restoration, renovation
The City of Madison Engineering Division is proud to announce its earning of two awards for its work restoring the Madison Municipal Building (MMB) last year.
The MMB earned the 2019 Madison Trust for Historic Preservation Restoration Award and was honored as one of the Daily Reporter’s Top Projects of 2018.
The MMB is a designated local City of Madison Landmark and is individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was originally built from 1927 to 1929.
In 2014, the City of Madison Common Council affirmed through resolution that keeping the MMB in civic use would help achieve the City’s desire to maintain a nexus of City offices together. It took four years to complete the restoration and renovation. The MMB also met Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) requirements and is targeted for a LEED Gold rating.
During the restoration, the following was completed:
- HVAC/electrical/plumbing systems replacement
- Full sprinkler system addition
- Roof replacement
- Exterior historic masonry and historic windows with 100 percent preservation
- Interior architectural remodel
- Interior historic architectural renovation, restoration
- Rear annex (no longer contributing) built in 1950s removal, new addition added
- Landscape for original 1920s grass border restoration
The Madison Trust for Historic Preservation highlights specific projects that show a high level of devotion to historic preservation through property owners, architects, designers, contractors or other participants, according to Madison Trust for Historic Preservation official website. It also recognizes people who have made outstanding contributions in activities that support the reservation and promotion of cultural heritage.
The Daily Reporter.com Top Projects award honors generals, subcontractors, architects, engineers and owners for projects that met and exceeded expectations in 2018.
- Media inquiries: Hannah Mohelnitzky, City of Madison Public Information Officer, Engineering Div., 608-242-6003, email@example.com