MPD Welcomes New Recruits
15 to join 2014 Pre-Service Academy class
The Madison Police Department (MPD) is proud to announce that the 2014 Pre-Service Academy class will begin their comprehensive training on Monday, September 15th. The Recruit officers will take the oath-of-office at MPD's Training Center at 5702 Femrite Drive at 8:00 a.m. in the auditorium.
Over 1000 applicants competed for the fifteen positions. The class profile reflects a group that has an average age of approximately 28 years old, ten hold a bachelor’s degree and five have a master’s or higher. All have significant life, work, and community service experiences as evidenced by examining this list:
1. Eric Appiah was an assistant director of fitness and wellness.
2. Natalie Deibel was a reading instructor and teacher.
3. Michael Eckhardt was a police officer.
4. Devon Harteneck was a library security assistant.
5. James Imoehl was a substitute teacher.
6. Lindsay Kamnetz was a legal assistant.
7. Michael Malloy was a police officer.
8. Tieranie Merchant was a police officer.
9. Justin Nelsen was a restorative justice counselor.
10. Alexander Pfeil was a research assistant.
11. Anna Schmidt was employed in records compliance.
12. Daniel Sherrick was an air export associate.
13. Sarah Skoug was a warehouse associate.
14. Lore Vang was an assistant director.
15. Tyrone Williams was a youth employment and literacy specialist.
Recruit officers will be trained in a host of topic areas including criminal law and procedure, investigations, relational skills, community policing and problem solving strategies, professional communications, ethics, crisis intervention, defense and arrest tactics, firearms, emergency vehicle operations, vehicle contacts and report writing. These subject areas are but a small sampling of courses that will be covered in great depth over the course of five and a half months.
Following the Pre-Service Academy, each recruit will be paired with veteran officers for three months of practical application street training before being assigned to solo patrol in one of MPD's various districts and shifts
- Joel DeSpain, 266-4897, firstname.lastname@example.org