Secure Drop Boxes Open Tomorrow
Boxes will be open Jan. 26 to Feb. 15 for the Spring Primary.
The City of Madison’s secure ballot drop boxes will be opened tomorrow, Jan. 26, for the Feb. 16 Spring Primary. The boxes provide a secure way for City of Madison absentee voters to return their ballots to the City Clerk’s Office.
If you requested an absentee ballot for the Feb. 16, 2021 election, you should see it in your mailbox in the next few days. Follow the instructions included with your absentee ballot to make sure your ballot is counted.
Once you vote your ballot and seal it in the completed certificate envelope, you can drop it in the secure drop box closest to you. You also have the option of returning it by mail or dropping it off in person at the City Clerk’s Office, at an in-person absentee voting site when they open Feb. 2, or at your polling place on Election Day.
The City Clerk’s Office has a secure procedure for the retrieval of ballots from the 14 drop boxes located at 13 City fire stations and Elver Park.
- Two sworn election officials retrieve the ballots from their assigned location.
- Election officials secure the ballots in a ballot bag with a tamper-evident seal. The seal number is written on the chain of custody form.
- By completing and signing the chain of custody, the election officials affirm the following (which is printed on the chain of custody form):
- The election official teams will collect ballots each day Jan. 26 – Feb. 14 between 3:00 pm and 5:00 pm.
- On Feb. 15, teams will begin collecting ballots from the drop boxes at 5:00pm. Once they have gathered all the ballots from a box, they will close and lock the drop box slots.
- Once teams have retrieved ballots from their assigned locations they will return to the Clerk’s Office immediately with the ballots. Clerk’s Office staff will confirm the information on the chain of custody form.
The full list of ballot drop box locations is below.
- Fire Station 1: 316 W Dayton St
- Box is located just east of the main driveway.
- Fire Station 2: 421 Grand Canyon Dr
- Box is located on west side of Grand Teton Pkwy before the station’s back driveway.
- Fire Station 3: 1217 Williamson St
- Box is located in small garden just outside station front door. Walk-up traffic only.
- Fire Station 4: 1437 Monroe St
- Box is located just east of driveway right across from the badger at Camp Randall. Just beneath the Madison: Solar America City sign.
- Fire Station 5: 4418 Cottage Grove Rd
- Box is located on Atlas Ave between the bus stop and the station’s back driveway.
- Fire Station 6: 825 W Badger Rd
- Box is located behind station on west side of Perry St just south of Madison College driveway.
- Fire Station 8: 3945 Lien Rd
- Box is located east of station on east side of Parkside Dr.
- Fire Station 9: 201 N Midvale Blvd
- Box is located behind station on west side of Meadow Ln.
- Fire Station 10: 1517 Troy Dr
- Box is located on north side of station near the intersection of Troy Dr and Hanover St.
- Fire Station 11: 4011 Morgan Way
- Box is located behind station on east side of Crossing Pl between station driveway and intersection of Crossing Pl and Nelson Rd.
- Fire Station 12: 400 South Point Rd
- Box is located just north of station on South Point Rd near intersection of South Point Rd and Briar Haven Dr.
- Fire Station 13: 6350 Town Center Dr
- Box is located just east of station driveway on north side of Town Center Dr.
- Fire Station 14: 3201 Dairy Dr
- Box is located just north of station driveway near intersection of Dairy Dr and Prairie Dock Dr.
- Elver Park Shelter: 1250 McKenna Blvd
- Box is located in island of the circle drive near the park shelter.
- Maribeth Witzel-Behl, (608) 266-4601, firstname.lastname@example.org