Street Closures for Ironman Triathlon
Tuesday, September 3, 2019 - 2:50pm
Several streets in and around downtown will be closed for the Ironman Triathlon on Sunday, September 8. The race consists of swimming in Lake Monona, bicycling in Dane County, and running in the downtown/campus area. The race starts at 6:40 a.m. and lasts until approximately midnight. Police will maintain local access across the route only when possible during gaps in the runners/bicyclists. Thru traffic driving across the route will not be permitted.
Swim Route Closures:
There are no street closures for the swim route.
Bicycle Route Closures:
Closures for the bicycling portion last from about 7:30 a.m. until about 5:30 p.m. The following closures will be in place within the city limits:
- Right lane of northbound John Nolen Drive from E Lakeside St to Monona Terrace
- East Lakeside Street east of John Nolen Drive
- Olin-Turville Court
- East Rusk Avenue from Alliant Energy Center driveway to Rimrock Road.
- Rimrock Road ramps to/from Beltline Highway
- Badger Road west of Rimrock Road
Run Route Closures:
Road closures for the run portion last from approximately noon until midnight. See downtown map for closures: https://www.cityofmadison.com/trafficEngineering/documents/IronmanTraffic-Routes-for-public-2019.pdf
Course maps on the Ironman Wisconsin website:
Metro Transit detours:
- Tom Mohr, City Traffic Engineering, 608-267-8725, email@example.com