Archived News: This news release is more than one year old and may include outdated information.

The City of Madison Clerk’s Office would like voters to know the answers to the ten most frequently asked questions they receive regarding voter ID.

  1. “I moved.  Do I need to update my address with the DMV before I can vote?” 

No.  The address on your ID does not matter when you are proving your identity at the polls. 

  1. ”I didn’t have all the certified documents the DMV needed when I renewed my driver license/ID.  I was told that my ID is “non-compliant.”  Does this affect my right to vote?” 

No.  Your ID might not comply with the federal REAL ID standards. Whether your ID is a REAL ID or not is not relevant at the polls.

  1. “Can I use my driver license/ID from another state as my voter ID?” 

No.  Wisconsin’s voter ID law does not accept a driver license or ID card from another state.

  1. ”My ID is expired.  Does that mean I can’t vote?”

No.  The state offers a grace period for the expiration date on four types of ID.  Your Wisconsin driver license, Wisconsin ID card, U.S. passport, or military ID is acceptable as long as it expired after the last November election (Nov. 6, 2018). 

  1. “Can I use my state employee ID card as my voter ID?”

No.  We can only accept the types of ID specified in the state’s voter ID law.

  1. “Do I need to be concerned about the gender listed on my state ID?”

No.  The gender listed on your ID does not matter when proving your identity at the polls.  The poll workers will check that the ID is one of the types of ID acceptable under state law, that the name on the ID reasonably conforms to the name on the poll book, and that the photo reasonably resembles you.

  1. “I changed my hairstyle, lost weight, broke my nose, or acquired a few wrinkles.  Do I need to get a new ID before voting?”

No.  The poll workers will be able to use common sense, comparing a facial feature on the ID to the voter in front of them.

  1. “Can I use my UW WisCard as my voter ID?”

No.  You can get a free UW Voter Identification card from Union South to use as your voter ID.  If you have a Wisconsin driver license or an ID issued by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, you can use that even if the address does not match the address where you are registered.

  1. “Where can I get help applying for a Wisconsin ID?”

The Dane County Voter ID Coalition offers free help with the state ID application process, and even offers free cab rides to the DMV.  The coalition can be reached at (608) 285-2141.  The Dane County Voter ID Coalition is a joint effort of the League of Women Voters of Dane County and NAACP of Dane County.

  1. “I don’t have an acceptable voter ID.  Can I still vote?”

Yes, you can vote provisionally at the polls on Election Day.  You will seal your ballot in an envelope.  You will have until 4:00 pm the Friday after Election Day to get a copy of your ID to the Clerk’s Office.  Many provisional voters send a digital copy of their ID via email to the Clerk’s Office.  The Board of Canvassers meets the Friday after each election to count the ballots of provisional voters who provided ID by the 4:00 pm deadline.


City Hall