Wilson Street Garage to Open June 22
A 10-year planning process will come to an end June 22nd as the new Wilson Street Garage opens for public parking at 20 East Wilson Street. The Wilson Street Garage is the City Parking Division’s second new garage to open in the past two years, following completion of the South Livingston Street Garage in December 2018. The two garages are the first new public parking garages that have been built by the City since 1982.
The new, modern garage has 520 public parking spaces, electrical vehicle charging stations (EVCS) for public use, 40 spaces for City Fleet vehicles, bicycle parking, and a bicycle center. Another new feature is the City’s first Parking Division Central Customer Service Ambassador office, which will be located in the garage near the entrance on Wilson Street. The Customer Service Ambassador Office will provide a wide range of services and customer assistance that were previously only available at the Division’s main office, including monthly parking services and general assistance. The garage’s main entrance and exit are located on Wilson Street. A reversible lane on the Doty Street side will provide entry into the garage from Doty Street during morning hours and other peak entry timeframes, and will be switched to an exit lane in the afternoon and other peak exit timeframes.
City of Madison Engineering oversaw the overall construction, project planning and coordination for the garage, working with LVDA Architecture, J.P. Cullen and Sons, Inc. and other consultants and subcontractors.
Wilson Garage will open June 22nd, replacing the Government East public parking garage. The Government East Garage, built in 1958, was Madison’s first public City-owned parking garage. Monday’s opening of the Wilson Street Garage will coincide with the closure of Government East Garage, which is scheduled to begin demolition in mid-July. Service interruptions will not occur for daily visitor parking or current monthly permit holders, whose permits will transfer to the new facility.