You're Invited: City Fleet Building Ribbon Cutting, Open House
Friday, June 4, 2021 - 7:32am
The City invites the community to a grand opening and ribbon cutting at the City’s state-of-the-art Fleet Facility, 3:30 p.m., June 22, at its new location, 4151 Nakoosa Trail, Madison, Wis.
In addition to a formal ribbon cutting, remarks from City and State leaders, there will also be live music from local musicians, Madison food cart vendors, guided tours of the new facility to show its use and sustainability features and electric vehicle ride and drive opportunities.
The family-friendly, educational event is free to attend.
The event will begin at 3:30 p.m. with an official ribbon-cutting ceremony. The lineup of speakers includes staff from the City of Madison, C.D. Smith Construction and Wisconsin Clean Cities, among others.
The Fleet building is a state-of-the-art building with specific sustainability features that sets it apart from any fleet building in the nation. The overall project cost was roughly $33 million. Features include:
- Foam insulation in the outside walls to reduce heating, air-conditioning costs
- LED lighting systems with motion sensors
- Hot water, natural gas piping in the floors for efficient radiant building heat
- Rooftop solar for hot water
- Rooftop solar for building power
- Kaleidoscopic sun catchers to amplify natural sunlight
- Solar wall for building heat
- Solar EV charging stations
- EV charging stations for City vehicles, employee vehicles, and the public
- LEED Gold certification
This project included a number of City agencies and community stakeholders. While the City of Madison Fleet Division uses the building, the City of Madison Engineering Division managed the overall project, C.D. Smith Construction managed the construction of the project and Stantec Architecture, Inc. designed the building. Other stakeholders include:
- Mead and Hunt
- Strand Associates
- HDR Maintenance Design Group
- Hannah Mohelnitzky, Public Information Officer, City of Madison Engineering Division, 608-669-3560, email@example.com