Classes & Programs
Pool AlertGoodman Pool is a place for everyone! Scholarships are available for swim lessons, general admission and the Waves Swim & Dive Team. LEARN MORE https://www.cityofmadison.com/parks/pool/Scholarships.cfm
The Goodman Pool offers swimming lessons for all ages and abilities. The skills in each level progress gradually as swimmers grow in knowledge and ability. A swimmer may stay in a level for several sessions as motor skills and comfort levels in the water increase.
The Goodman Pool staff is committed to quality and safety.
- Swim Lessons include 8 class periods. Monday -Thursday for two weeks or on Saturdays once a week for 8 weeks or Monday and Wednesday nights for 4 weeks.
- Parent/Child, Pre-school and Level 1 and 2 are 30 minutes; all other classes are 40 minutes.
- To ensure your child’s proper placement in the swim levels please carefully review the class descriptions. If you are unsure about placement, call 264-9292 or email email@example.com.
- Family changing rooms are available.
- Children who are not toilet trained must wear a swim diaper. Swim diapers are for sale at the front desk or concessions area.
- To ensure your child’s safety, please let us know if they have any medical conditions or other needs.
- By participating in swim lessons at Goodman Pool, you acknowledge that your child's photo may be taken by City Parks Staff for future publication, including in social media, publications, promotional materials, brochures, etc. I agree that the City has ownership of these images and may use them for any purpose consistent with the Park Division's missions. If you would not like your child's photo taken, please inform your child's instructor.
To receive a scholarship, apply online or by mail
- Complete the online application starting March 1 by joining the waitlist
- Download and complete the Scholarship Application / Scholarship Application, and mail or email with supporting documentation.
Attn: Scholarship Administrator
210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Room 104
Madison, WI 53703
- Full refunds are made if the Goodman Pool cancels a class.
- If you do not attend, a refund may not be available.
Questions about Goodman Pool Swimming Lessons, call 264-9292 or email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
6 months-3 years
|One participating adult per child required.||The parent/child swim class is designed to introduce both the parent and the child to swimming and water safety skills in a safe and supportive environment. Instruction is given on elementary water skills through songs, games and other activities. (30 minutes)|
|Pre-school||Age 3-5 years
Children must be ready to participate in a group setting on their own.
|This class is for younger swimmers who are ready to begin participating in a class without a parent. Students will learn water exploration, basic swimming skills with support, and water safety. Repetition of this class is encouraged until the swimmer is old enough for the Level 1 class. (30 minutes)|
Introduction to Water Skills
|Must be 5 years or older. Children must be ready to participate on their own.||Level 1 is designed to teach students to be comfortable in the water and to introduce them to the first swimming skills while being supported. Students will practice arm and leg swimming actions, submerging parts of their face, exhaling underwater, floating and water safety skills. (30 minutes)|
Fundamental Aquatic Skills
|Passed Level 1||Students in Level 2 will continue to practice skills learned in Level 1 until they can be performed without the support of the pool bottom or from floating aids. Separate arm and leg action will be combined with floating and gliding to achieve swimming using a combined stroke on their front as well as back. (40 minutes)|
|Passed Level 2||This class builds on fundamental skills and provides additional guided practice to improve floating, breath control, and front and back crawl. Diving, dolphin kick and elementary backstroke will be introduced. (40 minutes)|
|Passed Level 3 - MUST be comfortable in deep water.||Level 4 is designed to help swimmers build on the swim strokes learned in Level 3 with emphasis on front and back crawl endurance and beginning coordination of butterfly and breast stroke. Students will also work on their comfort in deeper water. (40 minutes)|
|Passed Level 4||Students in Level 5 will work on further stroke coordination, refinement and endurance in front and back crawl, elementary back stroke, breast stroke, butterfly and sidestroke. Swimming for fitness skills will also be introduced. (40 minutes)|
Swimming and Skill Proficiency
|Passed Level 5||Students in Level 5 will work on further stroke coordination, refinement and endurance in front and back crawl, elementary back stroke, breast stroke, butterfly and sidestroke. Swimming for fitness skills will also be introduced. (40 minutes)|
|Adult Beginner||Age 13+||Students in Level 6 will refine strokes to swim with more ease, efficiency, power and smoothness over greater distances. Skills included are 500 yards continuous swim using 100 yards each of front & back crawl, 50 yards each of breastroke, elementary backstroke, sidestroke & butterfly and 100 yards choice of any of those strokes, survival floating and back floating 5 minutes each, feet first surface dive & retrieve an object from 7 feet. (40 minutes)|
|The Goodman Waves Swim Team||
||The Goodman Waves is a competitive swim team that will participate in the All City Swim Meet. Practices will be held 5 days a week and swim meets typically held on Saturday mornings.|
|The Goodman Waves Dive Team||
||The Goodman Waves is a competitive dive team that will participate in the All City Dive Meet. Practices will be held 5 days a week and dive meets typically held on Friday evenings.|
|American Red Cross Lifeguard Class||Must be 16 years old||This is a full American Red Cross Lifeguarding Certification course offered routinely throughout the summer.|
|Water Aerobics||Age 18 and older||Class is designed for adults of all skill levels for a low-impact, high-energy, whole-body workout.|