Forest Hill Cemetery Improvements
Last Updated: 12/10/2019
The The City of Madison Parks Division is undertaking a series of improvements to Forest Hill Cemetery.
Work will be completed in 3 phases:
Phase 1 (2018):
- Storm sewer installation in the north half of the cemetery
- New irrigation system being installed cemetery wide
- Select roadways resurfaced in the northern half of the cemetery.
Phase 2 (2019):
- Storm sewer installation in the south half of the cemetery
- select roadways resurfaced in the southern half of the cemetery.
Phase 3 (2022):
- Roadway resurfacing on all remaining roadways
- Grading and storm sewer improvements to address erosion (north end)
During each phase of construction it is anticipated that access to plots may be impacted. Cemetery staff will make arrangements so that each plot can be accessed if needed. Please notify Darin Hall at (608) 266-4741 at least 48 hours prior to required access during construction.
Details on construction activities are as follows:
Prior to 2018 there currently existed no storm sewer in the cemetery. During large storm events water runs along the paved roadways in the cemetery creating erosion adjacent to the pavement and around headstones. Water also ran off the cemetery property and onto the property of homeowners adjacent to the cemetery. This creates flooding problems for the home owners and property damage. The new storm sewer system will help mitigate this runoff and flooding and bring the cemetery roadways up to the same standard or stormwater management as City streets.
Many roadways in the cemetery are in poor condition, suffering from erosion, and in need of resurfacing. The City is proposing to resurface all of the roadways within the cemetery. Roadways would be in the same location and same dimensions as the existing roadways.
These improvements will be phased over several years with anticipated work as follows:
- 2018- Storm sewer installation in south half of cemetery, irrigation system replacement, and pavement resurfacing of all disturbed roads. (Work is now complete)
- 2019- Storm sewer installation in north half of cemetery and pavement resurfacing of all disturbed roads
- 2022- Pavement resurfacing of all remaining roads within cemetery
Care will be taken to minimize damage to all existing trees in the cemetery. City Forestry staff will review tree impacts and provide necessary pruning to allow equipment to access roadways. All work will comply with the City's No Root Cut policy and installation of storm sewer and irrigation main near large trees will be done with boring equipment to minimize root damage.
Public Informational Meeting:
A Public Informational Meeting was held March 16th, 2017. Concerns were raised about water quality in the Wingra watershed and access to cemetery roads and plots during construction.
City Parks Division and City Engineering Division are committed to improving water quality in the Wingra watershed and are open to the idea of adding water quality infrastructure in conjunction with City projects where feasible. City Parks has worked closely with City Engineering division to identify potential opportunities to improve stormwater quality in conjunction with City projects elsewhere in the watershed. There may be opportunities to improve infiltration in some areas of Forest Hill Cemetery but no large stormwater treatment devices are currently proposed with this project.
If you have questions or comments or were unable to attend the meeting, please contact Corey Stelljes at (608) 266-6518 or firstname.lastname@example.org.