Police Incident Reports A Selection of Noteworthy Incident Reports
Incidents listed are selected by the Officer In Charge of each shift that may have significant public interest. Incidents listed are not inclusive of all incidents. To view Calls for Services information, please visit communitycrimemap.com. Requests for information can be directed to the MPD Records Unit: (608) 266-4075.
Incident Date07/06/2011 - 12:00 AM
Suspect(s)Male, age 28
A person of interest is currently detained by the MPD
Victim(s)Male, age 4, Madison
Male, age 3, Madison
The Madison Police Department is investigating the apparent double homicide of two brothers, ages three and four years old. The following is a chronological summary of what we believed happened at this time:
• At 2:06 p.m. yesterday, the 22 year biological mother of the two children came to the MPD headquarters at the City County Building to report a domestic violence incident which had transpired between the current boyfriend and this complainant. The couple had been residing in a Moorland Road apartment, where the altercation had taken place between them the day before and involved a knife.
• At approximately 5:00 p.m. the mother returned to the Moorland Road apartment and made contact with the 25 year old biological father of the two children they share in common. The mother learned that her boyfriend had made contact with the biological father at 1: 24 p.m. yesterday afternoon at his Lake Point Drive apartment, and took custody of the two children. The boyfriend indicated to the biological father he was taken them to the east side of Madison to meet with the mother’s family members and to go “shoe shopping.” It was not uncommon for this boyfriend to facilitate custody exchanges between the mother and father of these two children.
• At 5:47 p.m., the mother re-contacts the Madison Police Department and reports the children as missing and likely in the custody of her boyfriend. MPD officers interview the mother as to the possible whereabouts of the children. MPD officers also locate the father on Lake Point Drive and interview him as well.
• At approximately 8:00 p.m. the Madison Police Department made contact with the State Division of Criminal Investigation and the State Department of Corrections for assistance in locating the whereabouts of the boyfriend. The Department of Corrections issued an Apprehension Request at the boyfriend was currently on parole. Throughout the evening, various addresses were checked for the children.
• At 12:47 a.m., the boyfriend calls the Dane County 911 Center and advises he was in a vehicle, with another female, who had convinced him to “turn himself in.” At 12:54 a.m. the boyfriend drove into the MPD’s East District parking lot and was taken into custody.
• As the children were not with the boyfriend when he was taken into custody, MPD officers continued to search for a gray Volvo vehicle it was believed the boyfriend had been driving earlier in the day with the children. At 2:39 a.m., a Madison police officer checking business properties in the 3300 block of Kinsman Boulevard located the gray Volvo vehicle. Upon examining the interior of the vehicle, the officer observed what appeared to be the body of a child in the rear set. Upon forcing entry into the vehicle, the officer discovered the bodies of the three and four year brothers. Both children were deceased. Upon checking video surveillance cameras in the area, we believe the vehicle was parked in this Kinsman Boulevard location shortly after 7:00 p.m. last evening.
At this time the Madison Police Department has in custody the following individual:
ARRESTED PERSON: David J. Hoem
DOB: 05/30/1983 (28 yoa)
CHARGE: Parole Violation
The investigation is on-going. No additional information is available at this time.
Captain Joe Balles
South Police District
07/06/2011 @ 3:00 p.m.
Two children were found deceased early this morning inside a car parked near a business on Kinsman Blvd. A 28-year old man is being detained as the MPD investigates the deaths. They are suspicious, and this is being treated as a double homicide. The person of interest was acquainted with the children, but is not their father. More information is expected to be released later today. This case is not related to case #2011-179857, which was just posted.
Released 07/06/2011 at 9:41 AM by PIO Joel DeSpain
The location shown is approximate & may not be accurate.