The Madison Senior Center is closed, and all in-person programs and events are canceled. View updates and learn how to stay connected.
Container Gardening- What, Why and How?
Posted on Friday, May. 8, 2020 at 9:18 am
Looking to start a garden but have little to no gardening space? Then container gardening is for you! Container gardening is a process in which planting occurs in containers, rather than in the ground. Besides the obvious advantage of saving space, container gardens are at less risk of soil-borne disease, eliminate weed problems, and provide more control over moisture, sunlight, and temperature.
Container gardens are perfect for items such as basil, chives, thyme, and other herbs. It is also an easy way to grow delicious vegetables and beautiful flowers.
Some tips for container gardening:
- Try to find big containers as opposed to small ones. These bigger containers can store more water and allow for room for the roots to grow.
- Whatever container you use, make sure that it has drainage holes at the bottom.
- Remember that black pots absorb heat when they are sitting in the sun.
- Double-potting plants, placing a small pot inside of a larger one keeps plants cool and allows for them to be watered less. Filling the space between them with moss or newspaper and soaking it with water keeps the plant nice and hydrated on hot summer days.
- Place the containers in a spot that will receive adequate sunlight and ventilation.
- Try to refrain from using soil from the garden. This soil is too heavy and can bring disease and insects into your plants. Using a soilless mix or compost is a better option to assure that these plants are healthy.
- Read and save the plant tag! This tag will give you important information about how to care for it, how much water it needs, and the size that it could get to.
Remember, gardening requires attention and time. No matter what, some plants will survive and some will not- that’s just the truth of gardening. However, gardening is extremely exciting and rewarding. Take the right steps and watch your container plants flourish!