Resolution Check: Have you been keeping up with your New Year resolutions?
Posted on Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2020 at 9:07 am
For me, one of the most challenging parts of the New Year for me is deciding on a worthwhile resolution. However, the even more challenging part is following through with that said resolution. Here are some tips for keeping your word and sticking to that goal.
- Track your progress. Short term goals are typically easier to keep than long ones, so determine weekly checkpoints for assuring that you are on track with your goal. Maybe make a resolution journal to easily track your progress!
- Remind yourself that change is a process. Once you commit to making a change, no matter how difficult, it will take time. Don’t beat yourself up if you aren’t seeing results right away- they will come!
- Plan for obstacles. With all changes, it is inevitable that there will be setbacks. Once your resolution is deciphered, brainstorm possible temptations and obstacles that might set you off track. After doing this, come up with a game plan regarding how you will overcome these obstacles so that you are better equipped to handle them when the time comes.
- Don’t give up! Experts have said that it takes 21 days for an activity to become a habit, and up to 6 months for it to become part of your personality. Change takes a while to happen, so be patient and keep going!
- Reward yourself. Celebrate your success by treating yourself to something (that doesn’t contradict your goal, that is!) For example, if your goal is to lose weight, reward yourself with a new piece of workout equipment or workout clothes, rather than candy.
Make this year a healthy and happy one. Stick to your resolutions, be patient, and the change will come. Good luck!