Obtaining a City of Madison Chicken License
- Notify others as required that you will be keeping chickens on the property.
- If the property is an owner occupied single family home, no notification is required.
- If the property is a single family home that is not owner occupied, notify the property owner and all residents of your dwelling unit.
- If the property is a two, three, or four family home, notify the property owner and all residents of the property in all dwelling units.
Note: Notification is not required for annual renewals of a license to keep chickens.
- Register with the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection. This registration is free. Fill out the "Livestock Premises Registration Application." Either complete the form online, or print it and fill it out. Once registered, you will be given a registration number.
- Complete the application for a chicken license:
- Please note: To apply online you will need a digital version of or be able to scan in your Livestock Premises Registration so that it can be attached to the license application.
- If you do not have one already, you must create an account on the City of Madison Licenses & Permits portal to fill out this application.
- Once you login to your account go to the Licenses/Registrations section, select Apply for a License/Registration and then choose Treasurer - Chicken Owner Registration.
- Continue to City of Madison Licenses & Permits.
- By Mail or In Person
Note: Chicken licenses must be obtained annually, prior to January 1 of each year, or within 30 days of acquiring chickens. The license year begins January 1 and ends on the following December 31.
Search BI services
Remember - If you are unsure, ask the Zoning Staff
- (608) 266-4551