Banners on Pedestrian Bridges
Banners on Pedestrian Bridges at Campus Drive & Park Street
An eligible banner for this program, as listed in Madison City Ordinance Section 31.03(2), is "A banner or series of banners containing noncommercial messages displayed to call attention to cultural events, charity campaigns or neighborhood sponsored activities."
- Banner Display Fee - $75.00 per two weeks or any portion thereof, per location, per side.
- Campus Drive:
- Inbound faces west toward Middleton, so eastbound motorists see your banner as they drive toward the Capitol.
- Outbound faces east, so westbound motorists see your banner as they drive toward Middleton.
- Park Street:
- Inbound faces south, so that northbound motorists see your banner as they drive toward the University of Wisconsin campus.
- Outbound faces north, so southbound motorists see your banner as they drive toward the Beltline.
- If applying any time after the annual December 31st deadline, please contact the Street Vending Monitor to make sure the dates you desire are available.
- The most-requested months are March through November.
- Banner length is not to exceed 24 feet and width is not to exceed 3 feet.
- Banners are to have air slits every 3 feet to 5 feet minimum to reduce wind load.
- 400 pounds maximum tensile strength rope used to attach the banner to the bridge.
- Banners generally cost between $200 and $400 each to have made.
- When possible, design a banner that can be used year after year.
- The banner must have the name and telephone number of the sponsoring civic organization clearly shown on it, however the phone number need not be legible to passing motorists. The phone number serves as a way of contacting the organization by anyone who needs to, such as in case of emergency, and may be on the back of the banner.
- Banner display assignments may begin on any day of the week.
- Simple, legible messages are the most effective.
- A banner that is too small or contains too much information is less legible.
- Organizations may hang the banners themselves or make arrangements with the company that made the banner. Those hanging their own banners are advised to secure their banners to the inside of the chain link fence. They are advised to have at least two people participate, especially on windy days.
- Licensed sign hangers use equipment that enables them to safely attach a banner to the outside of the fence.
- Organizations often use the following to hang their own banners: cable ties, key or combination locks.
- The City of Madison does not maintain a list of possible vendors who make or hang banners. Organizations are advised to check a phone book, the internet, or to ask other organizations which companies they have engaged.
- Write a separate $75 check for each banner application. It may seem like more effort but, if all of your scheduling requests cannot be fulfilled, it will take longer for you to get a refund if you have written a check for a lump sum covering all requests. It's faster and easier for the City to just return a check for $75.
Applications will be emailed late each November to all included on the email distribution list. If you would like to be included on the list, please send your email address to the Street Vending Staff at email@example.com.
How to apply for a Street Banner Permit
The application for this permit can be completed on the City of Madison Licenses & Permits portal.
- If you do not have one already, you must create an account on the Licenses & Permits portal to fill out the application.
- Once you login to your account go to the Permitting section, select Apply for a Permit and then choose Vending - Banner Assignment.
- Your application will be reviewed only during regular business hours.
- Complete the Application for Street Banner Permit
- Enclose the appropriate payment amount.
- Submit an insurance certificate (Commercial general liability insurance at a minimum of $500,000 per occurrence, naming City of Madison as Additional Insured).
Contact Eric Melton-White, Street Vending Monitor
- PH: 608-261-9149
- FAX: 608-261-6126
- EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MAIL ADDRESS:
Department of Planning & Community & Economic Development
Economic Development Division
Office of Business Resources
P.O. Box 2983
Madison WI 53701-2983
- PHYSICAL ADDRESS:
30 on the Square
30 W. Mifflin St. Suite 502-507
Madison WI 53703