The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:00 a.m. on 06/26/2018 through 5:00 a.m. on 06/27/2018, MPD received 497 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 497 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (91), East (115), Midtown (54), North (63), South (45), West (73), and Other (56). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 7:35am. Officers responded to the 6700 block of Schroeder Rd for a report of a disturbance between a mother (44-year-old HF) and son (24-year-old HM). The son reportedly caused a disturbance, which included throwing rocks, prior to leaving the scene. Probable cause was developed for a charge of domestic disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
2) EAST: Assist Citizen/Drug Investigation – 8:22am. Officers initially responded to the Kwik Trip at 4825 American Pkwy for a subject (23-year-old WM) who appeared disoriented and was unable to locate his vehicle. Later in the day, officers received a call for found property at Steinhafel's at 5215 High Crossing Blvd. The property included the subject's vehicle, a firearm, and a backpack full of marijuana and prescription medications. Officers were no longer in contact with the subject at the time the property was located. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Weapons Offense – 12:57pm. Officers responded to the area of Great Gray Dr and Snowy Owl Dr for a report of a vehicle occupied by subjects who had pointed a firearm out the window. There were no reports of shots fired or property damage. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Stolen Auto – 2:34pm. Officers responded to the area of Pinney St and Silas St for a report of a stolen auto. The victim (19-year-old UM) reported he had parked the vehicle on the street the previous night and it is now gone. The vehicle was listed as stolen through the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
5) WEST: Information/Sex Offense – 5:24pm. Officers at the West Police District station were contacted by a subject (32-year-old HM) who wanted to turn himself in to police. The subject reported he had purchased a shoe camera that he intended to use to take "upskirt" videos of females, but the camera battery had exploded prior to obtaining any video, injuring the subject's foot. The subject was counseled on his actions and released from the scene as no illicit video had been taken. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Stalking Complaint – 7:03pm. Officers contacted a victim (56-year-old WF) who wished to report unwanted social media posts from a suspect (45-year-old AAM). The victim has a current harassment protection order against the suspect following a history of stalking-type behaviors from the suspect. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Traffic Crash – 7:28pm. Officers were dispatched to the 200 block of Cottage Grove Rd regarding a rollover traffic crash. The driver of the vehicle (39-year-old WM) was trapped and had to be removed by Madison Fire paramedics. The driver was taken to the hospital and a legal blood draw was completed. Officers cleared from the hospital at 12:02am. Investigation continuing.
8) EAST: Attempted Suicide – 9:38pm. Officers responded to Camden Rd for a report of a subject (48-year-old WM) who had attempted to kill himself by overdosing on prescription medication. The subject was taken to the hospital for medical treatment. Investigation continuing.
9) SOUTH: Information/Sexual Assault – 10:33pm. Officers made contact with a victim (15-year-old WF) at the Juvenile Reception Center who wanted to report that she had been sexually assaulted sometime in the past week. The victim's statement was taken and a forensic nurse exam was completed at the hospital. Investigation continuing.
10) SOUTH: Weapons Offense – 10:34pm. Officers responded to the 1200 block of Gilson St after reports of a suspicious person in possession of a firearm. One witness (36-year-old AAF) reported that a younger AAM knocked on her door and that she witnessed the handle of a handgun in his pocket when she turned on the porch light. The suspect fled when the witness tried to photograph him and officers were unable to locate him. Investigation continuing.
11) CENTRAL: Intoxicated Person/Adult Arrest – 10:46pm. Officers responded to The Ivory Room Piano Bar at 116 W Mifflin St for a report of an intoxicated person. The subject (39-year-old WM) was contacted and placed in protective custody, after which he was taken to the hospital. While at the hospital, the subject became resistive and tried to fight with officers, causing injury to one officer. He was taken to the Dane County Jail on a charge of resisting/obstructing an officer. Investigation continuing.
12) NORTH: Information/Sexual Assault – 11:14pm. Officers contacted a victim (22-year-old WF) at the Dane County Jail who wanted to report a possible sexual assault from earlier in the month. The victim thought she might have been assaulted while staying with an acquaintance on a temporary basis. Investigation continuing.
13) NORTH: Armed Robbery – 11:36pm. Officers responded to the area of Scofield St and N 8th St, near Demetral Park, for a report of an armed robbery. The victim (41-year-old WM) reported that two suspects held him at knifepoint and demanded he give them everything in his pockets. A minor injury was sustained by the victim. See the completed press release for further information and updates. Investigation continuing.
14) NORTH: Armed Robbery – 12:10am. Officers responded to the 1300 block of Ruskin St regarding an armed robbery. The victim (34-year-old UM), a delivery driver, reported that a suspect at this address had given him a counterfeit bill as payment, and when the driver confronted him, two other suspects walked up and displayed the handle of a handgun. The suspects fled the area with an undisclosed amount of cash. See the completed press release for further information and updates. Investigation continuing.
15) CENTRAL: Traffic Crash – 1:24am. Officers responded to the 1900 block of Atwood Ave for a traffic crash. Witnesses reported that the driver (41-year-old WM) had been operating a motorcycle at high speed when he hit a curb and crashed. The driver, who was not wearing a helmet during the crash, was taken to the hospital with significant injuries. Officers obtained a warrant to execute an OWI blood draw at the hospital. Investigation continuing.