City of Madison Assessor's Office
Property Assessment: Open Book Review
Open book refers to a period of time, before the Board of Assessors/Review begins, when the completed assessment roll is open for examination. During this time, the City Assessor is allowed to make any changes that are necessary to perfect the assessment roll. When Open Book ends, any change to the assessment roll (property values) requires formal process in front of Board of Assessors/Board of Review.
Open Book Period: April 15 – May 1, 2019
- A hard copy of the roll is available for public examination in the City Assessor’s office during regular business hours.
- Michelle Drea, the City Assessor, will be available to discuss valuations Monday, April 15 from 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm on a first come, first served basis. Please note, this is the only date on which unscheduled walk-in open book communication will be accommodated.
- Phone or email contact with appraisers regarding values is encouraged and accommodated during this period.
- (608) 266-4531
- Beginning April 15, property owners may schedule in-person meetings with appraisers, by appointment only, for the following dates: April 16, 17, 18, 23, 24, 25, 30 and May 1.
We are committed to providing better access to information and hope this web site will assist you. Browse this site for basic information about:
- Property Information
- Assessor Duties
- How to Appeal the Assessed Value of Your Property
- Home Sales by Area
If you do not find the information you need on this site, please contact the Assessor’s Office by phone or email. We will reply as quickly as possible.
If you feel a mistake has been made in valuing your property, we encourage you to contact our office. We can review the property characteristics and appraisal methods used to determine your most recent assessed value. We have a knowledgeable and hardworking staff to assist you.