Proof of Residence (POR) may be presented in either a paper or an electronic format (smart phone, tablet, or laptop). Valid forms of POR mus include the voter's name and current address.
Acceptable Proof of Residence Documents
- Utility bill issued within the last 90 days.
- Bank or credit union statement.
- Current and valid Wisconsin driver license or Wisconsin identification card.
- A government-issued document.
- Check issued by a unit of government.
- Real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the previous year.
- Residential lease effective on the day of registration (cannot be used if registering to vote by mail).
- College fee statement issued in the last nine months, accompanied by student ID card.
- Affidavit from a public or private social service agency, on letterhead, identifying an individual who is homeless and indicating where that individual resides. Social Services Agency sample letter for homeless voters registration requirement
- Official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
- Identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business, which has a photograph of the cardholder, but not a business card.
Government-Issued Proof of Residence Documents
Not a comprehensive list
- Fishing and hunting licenses
- Vehicle registrations
- State Social Service Programs
- FoodShare / SNAP
- Wisconsin Works
- Wisconsin Shares
- BadgerCare notices and correspondence
- Medicare notices
- Medicare Explanation of Benefits (not from 2nd party providers or other health insurance providers)
- Social Security: SSI notices and benefits statements
- Public High School, Technical College, or Public University correspondence and documents including:
- admissions correspondence
- financial aid notices
- report cards
- MyUW-Madison / Student Center webpage screen
- Federal student loan correspondence and notices
- Billing statements and collection notices from a governmental entity
- Correspondence from a federally recognized Native American Tribe living in Wisconsin.
Electronic Proof of Residence
As of April 4, 2014, when you register to vote in Wisconsin you must show proof of residence. Electronic proof is acceptable, on either a smart phone, tablet, laptop, etc. These examples are either government documents or utility bills.
- Medicare recipients
Log in; click User Information under My Account tab
- Medicaid, BadgerCare+, FoodShare recipients
Log in; click My Details under My Benefits; click Contact Information
- MG&E customers
Sign in on left side; utility bill will appear with name and address on right side
- UW-Madison students
Go to Student Services > Student Center
- Cardholders for 43 South-Central libraries
Log in (right side) with library card number and PIN; click My Personal Details
- Dane County property owners who live on the property
Enter name or address
- Madison property owners who live on the property
Enter Name or Address
Examples of Unacceptable Proof of Residence Documents
Not a comprehensive list
- Insurance statement
- Medical bill
- Business card
- Magazine subscription
- Expired driver license/ID card
- Out-of-state driver license
- Piece of mail addressed to voter