Zoning Guidelines

Street Vendor Zoning Guidelines

A basic Street Vending License entitles a vendor to sell merchandise or food on public property in the City of Madison. Additional Health Department licenses are required for food vendors. Additional licenses are required for vending within specialized areas like the Mall / Concourse or High Density Vending areas.

Private Property Zoned for Commercial Use

If a vendor desires to sell on private property, that private property must be zoned for commercial use and there must be a direct connection between the products normally sold on the commercial private property and the products sold by the vendor. For example, if a key shop has a parking lot, a street vendor would have to sell keys in that parking lot with the permission of the proprietor. It would not be legal for a food vendor to sell food on the private property of a key shop because food is "not accessory to the principle business."

Private Property Zoned for Residential Use

It is never legal for a street vendor to sell merchandise or food on private property zoned for residential use, even if the property owner has given permission. It is not legal to conduct any kind of sales or fundraisers from the front yard, driveway, porch, etc., of a residence.
Last Updated: 02/08/2017

Contact Meghan Blake-Horst, Street Vending Coordinator

  • PH: 608-261-9171
  • FAX: 608-261-6126
  • EMAIL: streetvending@cityofmadison.com
    Department of Planning & Community & Economic Development
    Economic Development Division
    Office of Business Resources
    P.O. Box 2983
    Madison WI 53701-2983
    30 on the Square
    30 W. Mifflin St. Suite 502-507
    Madison WI 53703

Bike Path Vending Prohibited

It is illegal to vend on any Madison bike path, bike way or recreational trail.