Apply: Preliminary Application
If you have any questions or concerns with regards to obtaining or submitting a Preliminary Application, please contact the Personnel & Training office at (608) 266-4190.
Have a Preliminary Application Mailed to You
- Phone: (608) 266-4190
- Email: Deb Slawek and request an application kit be mailed to you.
Download the Prelimary Application
- Preliminary Application (includes Essay Question #1) (PDF)
- You will need to send both the Preliminary Application and the Essay Question through conventional means (i.e. U.S. mail, commercial overnights, etc.).
MS Word Format
- Preliminary Application (includes Essay Question #1) (MS Word)
How to Save: Right click on the link above and choose "Save Target As." When the "Save As" window appears, use it to move to the disk or folder you want to save it to and click "Save". This format uses Microsoft Word to view, fill-in, and save.
- When you have completed your application in the MS Word format, you can email both the Preliminary Application and the Essay Question to Deb Slawek.
Please note: If exercising this option, the candidate must separately mail all required documentation (i.e., transcripts and DD-214). Once your application has been processed, candidates will receive an email letting them know that their application was received.
If you have not received a confirmation email within ten working days (from date of submission), it is your responsibility to contact Deb Slawek immediately by phone: (608) 266-4190 or email: Deb Slawek.
When submitting an application to MPD, it is very important to make certain the entire application is filled out completely and truthfully. Any misrepresentations, falsifications, or deliberate omissions may be deemed "just cause" for non-selection or dismissal (if selection has occurred). The preliminary application as well as our "Personal History Statement" (provided only to those who are advanced) require a ten-year employment history. It should be noted that the Social Security Administration has a website where an individual may obtain a Request for Social Security Earnings Information (PDF) form which can provide a ten-year employment history for a fee.